Why has the Catholic Church in Jersey established a local branch of this International Catholic Charity?
Firstly this is our witness to the principles of Catholic Social Teaching.
Secondly this is our tangible response to Bishop Philip Egan’s call for a ‘New Evangelisation’ and an ongoing commitment to make this year and hopefully every year a ‘Year of Faith in Action’.
Monsignor Nicholas France was delighted to launch Caritas Jersey at the final Mass of the Jersey Mission in 2013. It is hoped that Caritas Jersey will become the hub of Catholic social Action in Jersey reaching out to all sections of the community and touching all aspects of Island life, acting as an umbrella group for Catholic Social Action.
Directors of Caritas Jersey:
- Mark Lewis, Chairman
- Deacon Iain MacFirbhisigh
- Maurice Dubras
- Terry Le Sueur
Caritas Jersey office is based behind St Thomas' Church Hall, 19 Val Plaisant, St Helier
Telephone number 01534 768963
Our initial activities include:
- Establishing and promoting a Catholic Think Tank on social issues in Jersey
- Promoting with government a Commission on social justice
- Providing support to prisoners and young offenders
- Providing support to vulnerable families particularly migrant families with young children